Sunday 12 April, 2009

Vishnu Sahasranamam in Papua New Guinea!

This little family was parlaying in Tamil in the cafetria attached to the supermarket. I just walked up to them ;introduced myself; in a minute we were all merrily chatting away in Tamil.
The surprise did not end here. I was invited to their house for dinner after a small spiritual seesion in somebody's house that evening. They just assumed that I would be interested. The performing flea that I am went along.
It seems this gathering happens every Saturdayfor the past 20 years, in somebody's house of the other where mostly South Indians recite Vishnu Sahasranamam. I missed the major recital but then joined for Hanuma Chalisa and others. Met a lot of Thambis who have been there for 23-25 years ; some engineers, doctors, pharmacists, marketing managers, technicians , you name it they are all there. Most of them are very happy here in spite of the poor security. Good pay, children can afford education, evrything from murungaikkai to pagarkai is available. Maids are dime a dozen.
The colony where my young friends live is absolutely wonderful. Very expensive rentals but mostly Indians, phillipinos(teh embassy is here) , chinese and the lot. Security is very strict so much so it was nice to see children playing outside, men and women walking alone on their evening constitutional, couple strolling at 9 at night without a worry. Such is the freedom they enjoy in their little colony so aptly named Islander Village.
I went a tad late and missed the Vishnu sahasranamam but joined in Hanuman chalisa and all others for a good 40 minutes. Met a lot of tamilians including two from Kancheepuram!They have invited me next Saturday and for a picnic on monday to a waterfall 60kms away.
When they asked me to go to PNG , I asked where in the world is it. Little did I imagine that I would be singing ''ayigiri nandini'', eating kadalaiparuppu sundal and talking in Tamil to the heart's content, wah wah wah!
PS I discovered three kari patha bushes in our garden. The smell of paragikkai sambar "7 oorai asathiduthu"

2 comments:

  1. Thambi's are indeed adventurous. But so nice that they follow the traditions. You could make good friends there. Enjoy your meal with the karipatha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum yum...even in Papua New Guinea food sounds good!Thambi's invading everywhere!I am telling you, soon Thambi's will take over the world!

    ReplyDelete