Monday 20 April, 2009

Bush walking in PNG




The australians call trekking bush-walking. That is what I did last Sunday. A group of people get together and go trekking around Port Moresby once a fortnight. They go mainly for keeping fit and were real guttahua bush walkers. They have come prepared with all their gear for tough walking; like two frozen blubbers -one with water and other with gastrolyte solution with tubes for sucking while walking without stopping; leggings, walking sticks ,etc it was WOW.Gave a complex straight away but I matched them with my stamina!haha. They even applauded me in the end when I made it.
We drove out 50 kms to a place called Variruta Park which has a thick dense rain forest. I got set very peppily at the beginning but when they started climbing sometimes steeply , my poor lungs started panting. I merrily slid on the slippery mountain trail; climbed fallen trees; dodged prickly thorny cane and managed to do the same strenuous routes as the others albeit 15 minutes late. The guides offered to take me the shorter easier way but this old war horse held out.
It was great fun ; I had these two guards who gave me company and looked after me; they kept me regaled with the local stories and showed me wild mushrooms; fern that they cook with chicken; large leaves which give out a fragrance which they cook as well as make skirts of for ceremonies. They pointed out a frog which changed colour from green to brown accoding to its environment. I discovered that most of the poisonous snakes live in the coastal ares and not in the highlands. In fact I had the pleasure of seeing a poisonous water snake standing still in the clear mountain stream before he noticed us and slid away; We stalked a bird of Paradise but it flew away in the wrong direction: I never got to see it.
The guards also learnt a lot from me--about oxygen in the altitudes; indian mountains; turmeric ; herbal medicine, etc;etc;
The view from the lookouts in the clearing of the forest was spectacular. I took some photographs but with sweat pouring from every pore of my body it was not an easy thing to do.
Ever since this trek I am tucking away a lot of food saying that I must compensate for the loss.
The next trek is on undulating grasslands but I will be in Tari next fortnight climbing the mountains again.

1 comment:

  1. wow...old war horse all right!you can teach them a thing or two too!

    ReplyDelete